GVim on Chromebook: GVim Portable is a powerful, feature-rich and highly configurable text editor primarily for programming. With GVim you can efficiently write code with syntax highlighting in many languages, and many other useful features like regular expression search and replace. GVim is free and open source software and is released under a license that includes some chartyware clauses, encouraging users who enjoy the software to consider donating to children in Uganda. The license is compatible with the GNU General Public License.
Although GVim was originally released for the Amiga, GVim has since been developed to be cross-platform, supporting many other platforms. In 2006, it was voted the most popular editor among-st Linux Journal readers, and in 2015 the Stack Overflow developer survey found it to be the third most popular text editor.
Features of GVim
- GVim is a highly configurable text editor built to enable efficient text editing. It is an improved version of the vi editor distributed with most UNIX systems.
- GVim is often called a ‘’programmer’s editor’’, and so useful for programming that many consider it an entire IDE, It is not just for programmers. GVim is perfect for all kinds of text editing, from composing email to editing configuration files.
- GVim can be configured to work in a very simple way, called evim or Easy GVim.
More software for Chromebook: Avidemux on Chromebook
How to Download GVim for Chromebook
Installing GVim using Play Store
- Check if your Chromebook is compatible for installing Android apps: Chromebook Play Store Compatibility
- If your Chromebook is compatible, then you can install Play store by following these instructions. After that search for “GVim“and install the app on your chromebook.
- If your Chromebook is not compatible you can download the Play store apk and installing it manually, After that you can follow the steps mentioned above to find the “GVim” app and install it on your device.
Installing GVim using Chrome Browser
- If the software is not available on Play store, then you can try finding “GVim” on the chrome web store.
- Open chrome browser and go to the Web store, search for “GVim” and install it.
Install GVim using Rollapp
- If the “GVim” software is not available on chrome web store, then you can go to Rollapp, a useful website to access software online from any device.
- Go to the Rollapp website and search for “GVim” and use the application online.